Ccap Essay

Capital’s Career Advancement Program (CCAP)
is an innovative educational opportunity developed by Capital Community College with Greater Hartford’s insurance and financial services companies. These companies recognize that you, the leaders of tomorrow, are in Capital Community College’s classrooms today. This highly effective program provides you with resources and supports intended to enhance your degree and give you a competetive advantage in business.

As a CCAP scholar the benefits you derive may include paid internships, financial support towards your associates degree, mentoring from experienced business professionals, and career exploration opportunities in the field of insurance and financial services. If you’ve dreamed of a challenging and rewarding college experience that integrates academic excellence with practical experiential learning in a leading-edge corporate environment, then Capital’s Career Advancement Program is what you are looking for.

What are the entrance requirements?

To be considered for the program you must:
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
• Successfully complete at least 15 credits including ENG 101, MAT 137 and CSA 105
• Be a United States Citizen or permanent resident
• Matriculate into one of the following degree programs: Accounting, Computer & Information Systems, Management, or Liberal Arts & Sciences (Limited)
• Have at least two semesters remaining at Capital Community College
• Intend to graduate within the next three years from Capital Community College with an associates degree

What is the process?

Applicants submit required documents for review by program staff
• Preference is given to students with the intention of pursuing a four-year degree
• Selected applicants are interviewed and evaluated by business and academic professionals
• Finalists apply to Travelers and /or United HealthCare and must meet each company’s employment requirements (employment application, background and criminal investigation, and drug test)
• Offi cial college transcript(s) must be submitted to be offi cially accepted into CCAP

What are the program benefits?

Once you are accepted into the program you will:

  • Meet other highly motivated students
  • Receive coaching and guidance from assigned corporate mentors, faculty mentors and program coordinator
  • Participate in a part-time paid internship at Travelers or United HealthCare during spring and fall semesters
  • Participate in a full-time (40 hours per week) paid internship during the summer
  • Attend professional development workshops during semester breaks and periodically throughout the year that will prepare you for a career in the insurance/financial services industry
What is expected of me?

• Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater throughout participation in program
• Successfully complete a minimum of nine credits per semester and a one-time three-credit summer internship course
• Attend meetings with your faculty mentor, program coordinator and corporate mentors
• Complete the required professional development workshops and seminars during semester breaks
• Participate in the required internship
• Adhere to internship site’s employee policies and procedures
• Receive, at minimum, a ‘meets expectations’ rating from your manager on your performance evaluation
• Attend career coaching/networking sessions
• Arrange transportation to and from your work location
• Graduate with an associates degree from Capital Community College within the next three years
• Plan to continue education at a four-year college or university upon graduation from Capital Community College
• Serve as leadership advocate for program among peers and potential program candidates

How do I get started?

• Complete the required program application
• Prepare the required high-quality essay demonstrating solid writing skills
• Obtain a letter of recommendation from faculty or college administrator
• Complete and submit your resume

Application Packet
Due: Oct. 6, 2017


>> What is the Community College Access Program (CCAP)?

CCAP is a public/private partnership that makes college available tuition-free to current-year graduates of public high schools in the localities of Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem. Home-schooled and private school seniors from Franklin County, Roanoke County and the City of Salem may also apply.

CCAP covers the cost of tuition for three years at Virginia Western Community College if a qualified student does not have sufficient financial aid to pay tuition costs. CCAP supports as many qualified students as possible based on student need and funds available for each locality.

>> How do I know if I am eligible for CCAP?

To be eligible for consideration for CCAP, you must:

  • • Attend a high school your junior and senior years in one locality and graduate from a high school in the same locality: Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem. You must also have resided for two years in the same locality where you attended high school for your junior and senior years.
  • Graduate high school with the following minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) based on the locality from which you are applying:
    • Botetourt County = 2.5 GPA
    • Craig County = 2.5 GPA
    • Franklin County = 2.5 GPA
    • Roanoke City = 2.0 GPA
    • Roanoke County - 2.5 GPA
    • Salem = 2.5 GPA
    • Note: CCAP does not round up the grade point average (GPA) when determining eligibility.
  • Meet the February 16, 2018 deadline for submission of all application requirements listed on the 2018 CCAP checklist including:
    1. completing the online 2018-2019 CCAP application;
    2. meeting academic placement measures; and
    3. filing the 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Enroll at Virginia Western in a degree/diploma/certificate program that meets the federal financial aid requirements in the fall semester immediately following your 2018 high school graduation.

>> I want to apply to CCAP online at, but I do not remember my MyVWCC password. How can I reset my password?

You may contact the Helpdesk at 540-857-7354 for help with this task. In order to reset a MyVWCC password, the Help Desk requires a student to be able to provide their EMPL ID number or Social Security Number and answer a few authentication questions. These authentication questions often include a combination of the following:

  • Address
  • High School Attended
  • Security Questions (if set-up)
  • Last four digits of SSN (if Emplid was provided)
  • Phone Number

Note: The Help Desk is unable to reset passwords at the request of parents, guidance counselors, etc. The student must facilitate the contact if a password reset is needed.

>> If I am not eligible for CCAP, may I attend Virginia Western anyway?

Yes, you may! Receiving notification from the Educational Foundation that you are not eligible for CCAP does not mean that you cannot attend Virginia Western. CCAP is only one of the ways to pay college tuition. The Virginia Western Office of Financial Aid, located in Chapman Hall on campus, will be glad to assist you in determining what other funding resources such as scholarships, grants or loans are available. Call 1-855-874-6690, email , or visit the Enrollment Center Room C108 Chapman Hall (no appointment necessary).

>> What are Academic Placement Measures?

Virginia Western uses Academic Placement Measures to determine a student’s readiness for college-level English and math courses. The measures used to determine readiness are the evaluation of one or more or a combination of placement test scores, high school GPA, SAT or ACT scores, or developmental coursework.

To submit an SAT/ACT or unofficial high school transcript for academic placement determination please email Allison Dooley ( ) or Becky Kraemer ( ).  Once submitted, they will evaluate your documentation and respond by email with a determination of your academic placement.

To view a list of qualifying scores and GPAs go to

>> May home-schooled and/or private school students apply to CCAP?

Botetourt County, Franklin County, Roanoke County and City of Salem permit homeschooled and private school students to apply for CCAP if the student has resided in their respective locality for a period of time comparable to a public high school student’s junior and senior years of high school.

>> I am a dual-enrolled high school student. How do I apply to CCAP?

Dual-enrolled students should attend a Virginia Western Advising Day at their high school. At this event, VWCC Student Services representatives will confirm your Virginia Western application status, help you to complete the required program/plan change form, evaluate your current placement test scores and verify that your social security number is on your Virginia Western student account. You will also receive guidance on filling out the CCAP application. Check the Virginia Western Recruitment calendar at

>> What is a program/plan change form?

A program/plan change form is a document that a student submits to the Virginia Western Records Office declaring what program of study he/she will pursue while taking classes at Virginia Western. To change from being a dual-enrolled high school student to a Virginia Western college student, this form must be provided to the college.

>> Does my GPA from taking dual-enrollment classes at Virginia Western affect my CCAP eligibility?

It does not affect your initial acceptance, but it does affect your continued eligibility. The Educational Foundation uses your final high school cumulative GPA to accept you into CCAP and your Virginia Western cumulative GPA to determine your continued eligibility for CCAP once accepted. If you completed dual enrollment courses with Virginia Western while in high school, you will have a Virginia Western cumulative GPA the fall semester you begin CCAP. Your cumulative GPA determines your continued eligibility for CCAP at the end of each semester.

>> What if I cannot attend my high school’s Advising Day?

You should email Allison Dooley at or Becky Kraemer at for guidance on your next steps to apply to CCAP.

>> If I complete all parts of the CCAP application process does that mean I will automatically receive CCAP to cover my tuition and fees?

No, it does not. Conditional acceptance in CCAP acceptance is dependent on:

  1. Meeting the eligibility requirements and successfully completing all parts of the CCAP application process.
  2. Availability of CCAP funding. CCAP is dependent upon support annually from public and private funding sources. The amount of CCAP funds available to award may vary from year to year.

>> When will I hear if I have been accepted to CCAP or not?

The Educational Foundation will notify students with a CCAP conditional acceptance letter by March 30, 2018. If you are conditionally accepted, you must attend a mandatory CCAP acceptance meeting with a parent or guardian in mid-April 2018. The exact dates of the mandatory acceptance meetings will be indicated in the CCAP conditional acceptance notification. At the mandatory meeting, students sign their CCAP agreement detailing the requirements to participate in CCAP with the Educational Foundation. Failure to attend the mandatory CCAP Acceptance meeting will result in you losing CCAP eligibility.

>> What do CCAP conditional acceptance and CCAP final acceptance mean?

When a student completes the CCAP application process, meets the eligibility requirements, and sufficient funding is available in the student’s locality, the applicant will be notified that they are conditionally accepted in CCAP. It is a ‘conditional acceptance’ because at the time of notification, March 30, 2018, the Educational Foundation will not have received the final high school academic transcripts which verify the final high school cumulative GPAs. Therefore, CCAP acceptance will only be conditional. Once the Educational Foundation receives the student’s final transcript and confirms that the final high school GPA meets the CCAP requirement for his locality, the student will receive notification of ‘final acceptance’ in CCAP.

>> I have been accepted in CCAP and my student account shows that I have a balance due for my tuition or no anticipated aid. Will my classes be dropped for non-payment?

No. A HOLD is placed on all qualified CCAP student accounts until the appropriate time for CCAP student funding to be added to your student account. This occurs before the start of the upcoming semester classes. Be aware that when you enroll in classes, a balance due is created on your student account for the tuition and fees for those courses. The balance due remains on your student account until which time the college processes financial aid, loans, CCAP awards and scholarships to pay tuition bills each semester.

>> May I participate in CCAP even if I am receiving full financial aid?

Yes, if accepted in CCAP, you may participate in the program even if you have full financial aid. The Community College Access Program provides funding for tuition for up to and including 15 credits for CCAP accepted students who have no financial aid or insufficient financial aid to cover tuition. CCAP participants receiving full financial aid do not receive CCAP funds, but are still required to meet all CCAP deadlines and requirements to maintain eligibility for the program in future semesters. It is important to remain in CCAP because your financial situation may change from year to year altering your financial aid eligibility.

>> If I apply for, but am not accepted in CCAP as a high school senior, may I apply for CCAP again next year?

No, only public high school seniors (or equivalent private school or homeschool students in the specified localities) may apply. But you may attend Virginia Western anyway with other funding resources to pay tuition.

>> What additional criteria do I need to meet to REMAIN eligible for CCAP?

The additional criteria that students must continue to meet to remain eligible for participation in the program are:

  • The student must maintain a cumulative overall GPA to remain eligible for CCAP funds, based on the locality program for which you are accepted:
    • Botetourt County = 2.5 GPA
    • Craig County = 2.5 GPA
    • Franklin County = 2.5 GPA
    • Roanoke City = 2.0 GPA
    • Roanoke County = 2.5 GPA
    • Salem = 2.5 GPA
    • Students who do not maintain the above cumulative GPA at the end of any semester will not be eligible to receive CCAP funds during any subsequent semester.
  • The students must enroll in a minimum of 9 credit hours and may enroll in a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester in a specific program of study for which CCAP will pay tuition. CCAP fund may be used only for courses in the student’s program of study.
    NOTE: CCAP will pay for up to eight (8) developmental credits (if needed) during the first year of the program.
  • If, in any semester, a student falls below the required 9 credit minimum enrollment and/or minimum required GPA, the student will no longer be eligible for CCAP funding in future semesters.
  • Incoming first year CCAP students are required to attend a Virginia Western Discover orientation session.
  • Students must complete a 4 hour Service Learning Project during the fall and spring semesters each year they participate in the program.

>> If I am accepted into CCAP and do not fulfill the requirements of the program as detailed in the agreement I signed with the Educational Foundation what will happen?

If you do not fulfill the requirements of the CCAP as detailed by the agreement you sign each year with the Educational Foundation, you will no longer be eligible for CCAP in future semesters. You do not repay CCAP for any funds awarded.

You may continue taking classes at Virginia Western, even though you are not in CCAP. You will need to use other funding resources to use to pay tuition then. The Office of Financial Aid in Chapman Hall will be glad to assist you.

>> May I take online courses as a CCAP student?

Yes, CCAP students may take online courses if needed for their program of study. It is the responsibility of the student to consult with an academic advisor to select the course that best suits his/her learning style and program of study requirements.

>> Is the cost of summer tuition covered by CCAP?

Yes, CCAP will pay for up to and including six (6) credits of summer courses only for eligible first year CCAP students who 1) successfully complete the spring 2018 semester meeting all CCAP requirements and 2) do not have sufficient financial aid to pay tuition for up to six (6) credits. Courses must be in your program of study. The student will inform the Educational Foundation of his or her intention to enroll in summer classes when submitting the required 2nd Year CCAP Application. Be aware that if your cumulative GPA falls below the required GPA for CCAP due to summer class grades, you will not be eligible for CCAP in any future semesters, including your second year at Virginia Western. CCAP will not pay for any developmental course credits during the summer semester after your first year of CCAP (fall and spring semesters).

>> How do I update my contact information if it changed after I applied to CCAP?

It is imperative that you inform the Educational Foundation of any change to your physical address, email address, telephone, or any other important contact information. To update your information, email , using the words “Contact Info Update” in the subject line. Include your name and student ID# in body of message. You should also log onto your Virginia Western student account at MyVWCC and update your contact information.

>> What is the CCAP Service Learning Project?

The CCAP Service Learning Project is a 4-hour volunteer project performed by the CCAP student each semester with a non-profit organization of the student’s choice, approved by the Educational Foundation prior to the date of service. A list of available community organizations is provided to the CCAP student at the beginning of each semester.

>> Will I have to apply for 2nd Yr. CCAP in 2018?

YES! If you plan to attend Virginia Western for a second year and participate in 2nd Yr. CCAP, then you MUST submit an online 2nd Yr. CCAP application between October 2, 2017 and February 16, 2018. Answers you provide on the 2nd Yr. application will also indicate your intent to take a class(es) in summer 2018. The deadline to complete the 2nd Yr. CCAP application is February 16, 2018. Information about the application will be sent to you later in the fall semester. Failure to submit the 2nd Yr. CCAP application by the required deadline will cause you to lose your CCAP eligibility for your 2nd Yr. at Virginia Western.

>> If I continue in CCAP for my second year, will I have to complete a 2018-2019 FAFSA?

YES! CCAP students must submit and complete the FAFSA each year of participation in CCAP. The 2018-2019 FAFSA is available starting October 1, 2017 at The deadline to submit the 2018-2019 FAFSA for CCAP eligibility is February 16, 2018.

>> I am a 2nd Yr. CCAP student. May I apply for a 3rd Yr. of CCAP funding?

Only students participating in their 2nd Yr. of Roanoke City CCAP may apply for and participate in a 3rd Yr. of CCAP. Applicants for 3rd Yr. CCAP must also submit the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year.

The information contained within the CCAP Frequently Asked Questions above is provided by and the responsibility of the Virginia Western Educational Foundation, Inc. This information is subject to change without notice.

Leave a Comment


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *