1 Zujinn

Coursework Umich Email

There are many opportunities for students that are looking to study abroad and would like to receive academic credit. The process for obtaining credit varies depending on whether or not the student goes through a U-M study abroad program or a program not affiliated with the University of Michigan.

U-M Study Abroad Programs: In- Residence Credit

UM Study abroad programs are programs administered and supported by the University of Michigan. With some exceptions, these programs allow students to obtain in-residence credit (rather than transfer credit) and maintain any type of scholarship or financial aid that currently applies.

Non-UM Study Abroad: Transfer Credit

Students must go through a specific process in order to make sure credits will transfer from a non-UM program. Additional steps must be taken to see if credits will count towards a concentration or minor. The process should be completed before students leave for study abroad to gain full credit. Below are the recommended steps in the process.

  1. Find out whether credit from the program will be transferred into credit at the University of Michigan and what degree requirements the credit may be used for
    • Go to the student’s school/college’s academic advising center LSA Academic Advising Center and speak to an LSA Advisor adviser. Bring the class name and any information about the course with you. Advisors can tell if the credit will count as transfer credit at UM
    • Students should see what courses they need to take in order to fulfill distribution requirements and gain valuable information about their degree progress and completion
    • See the database of previously accepted courses from various abroad programs. Students are to search for the program they are going on and then find the class they want to take. If the class is there, they can see whether or not it was accepted as transfer credit by UM in the past.
  2. Find out if credit can be transferred to a specific concentration or minor
    • Contact the concentration advisor to have the courses pre-approved
    • Be clear to say whether or not the program is sponsored by U-M or is an outside program
    • Bring any materials and or information about the course to the advisor for pre-approval. Note: many study abroad programs post course syllabi online
    • Some departments require an additional review of the course when students return so it is suggested to keep coursework and syllabi
    • Many U-M departments place a cap on the number of hours of transfer credit allowed to count towards the major. Transfer students should also check with their academic advisors to ensure that they have not already transferred in the maximum amount of credits allowed by their school/college.
  3. Submit an official transcript after the student returns to Office of Undergraduate Admissions (OUA). In some cases, the official transcript must be directly sent to OUA by the school that the student attended. Check Requirements by Country for further details.

Direct Enrollment in Overseas Universities: U-M and Non-U-M

Direct enrollment means that students will be directly enrolled into another university. Credit transfer is similar to US sponsored study abroad programs; however, academic systems differ around the world so it is important to check with U-M Academic Advising to ensure credit will transfer. Students are required to find their own housing and be responsible for their own travels. This option is easier in English speaking countries. There are also universities with services directed towards short term enrollment students. This information is often available through the international student office at the foreign university.

Note: Many U-M and other U.S.-sponsored programs provide the option of taking courses offered by host-country universities, but with the advantage of extra support services and a U.S. transcript (U-M programs provide “in-residence” credit for U-M students).

Language Institutes: U-M and Non-U-M

Language institutes are useful for intensive study of a foreign language. Courses tend to be less expensive than other study abroad programs. The language program should be offered by an accredited, degree-granting university. Credit is often difficult to obtain. Students need to speak with advisors from the corresponding language department at U-M in order to determine whether credit will transfer.

Note: Some U-M and other U.S.-sponsored programs provide the option of taking courses offered by language institutes, but with the advantage of extra support services and a U.S. transcript (U-M programs provide “in-residence” credit for U-M students).

Are the MSN and post-baccalaureate programs offered online?
The University of Michigan School of Nursing does not offer a completely online curriculum. On-campus requirements will vary. Most programs have some web-blended courses. The systems, populations & leadership MSN program is taught in a completely web-blended format.


Is the GRE required for admission to the U-M School of Nursing?
If you are applying to any of our master's or post-baccalaureate programs, the GRE is only required if your cumulative undergraduate BSN GPA was below a 3.25. If your undergraduate final cumulative BSN GPA was 3.25 or above, the GRE requirement does not apply to you. The University of Michigan School of Nursing requires a minimum cumulative BSN GPA of 3.0 to be considered for admission to any of our graduate programs.


Can I apply to a graduate program prior to completing my BSN and without work experience? 

Yes, you can apply to MSN programs or the post-baccalaureate DNP program prior to completing your BSN. If offered admission, you must successfully complete all BSN coursework and be licensed as a registered nurse by at least one political (state, province, country) jurisdiction before the start of the term of admission. Applicants are not required to have work experience.


Is there funding available for the MSN and post-baccalaureate DNP programs? What is the cost of the program?

The School of Nursing awards a limited number of scholarships each year. The NursingCAS application is used to determine scholarships; applicants do not need to submit additional applications. Students are also welcome to apply for federal financial aid, and seek additional funding from private scholarships. Tuition and fee information can be found through the Office of the Registrar. 


Are there application fee waivers? 

Unfortunately, there are no application fee waivers available. 


I would like to reapply for a graduate program. Do I need to submit a new application through NursingCAS? 

Prior applicants have the option to reapply for the same or a different program for subsequent admission terms. NursingCAS allows individuals who already have a profile set up to either edit their information from the previous year or copy the existing information. It is recommended that applicants update their resume, personal statement, and recommendations for the new application year and new program (if applicable). 


How can I visit campus and learn more about the programs? 

Each fall semester the School of Nursing hosts several events, both online and on campus. Graduate open houses are held on campus on select Saturdays. During open houses, interested applicants will have the opportunity to meet the faculty and learn more about our programs. Refreshments are provided. The Recruiting & Admissions team also offers on-campus and online application information sessions for prospective students to game more information about the application and admissions process. 


Webinars are held for the systems, populations & leadership programs during the fall. These live webinars are hosted by faculty, and provide a great opportunity to receive information and ask questions. See our visit us page more information about these events. 


Can I apply to more than one program? 

No, you may only apply to one program.


Are interviews required for admission? 

All completed applications will be reviewed holistically by the Admissions Committee. Competitive applicants will be offered an admissions interview with faculty. The purpose of the interview is to further assess each applicant's fit for the program and to evaluate their understanding of the scope of practice. All individual applicants will be notified by the Admissions Committee if they have been selected for an admissions interview by email. 


Are there requirements I need to complete prior to enrolling in a master's program, other than completion of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree? Do I need to complete a statistics course?
An approved upper level (300/3000 or above) undergraduate or a graduate level statistics course is a requirement for the master's and post-baccalaureate DNP core courses at the University of Michigan School of Nursing. If you apply and are offered admission, the statistics requirement may be completed prior to or during your first term of enrollment as part of your regular program plan. Please refer to the list of courses that are approved to fulfill the statistics prerequisite for the master's core courses.


The statistics course must meet each of the six requirements listed below:

1. Your course must be completed at a University. Courses completed at a community college will not be considered. Completely online statistics courses may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2. The statistics course must be an upper division undergraduate level. A 300 level or above course would meet this requirement, while a 100 or 200 level course would not.
3. You are required to have completed the course within 5 years of the term in which you are applying for admission consideration.
4. You must earn a satisfactory grade of a B- or above (grades of C+ or below and Pass/Fail courses will not be accepted or considered).
5. The statistics course should be a general, social science, health care related or comparable course (courses that focus in business analytics, economics or finance do not meet the requirement).
6. The curriculum for the course must cover common terminology and use of descriptive and inferential statistical techniques including each of the following areas:

  • frequency distributions
  • histograms
  • measures of central tendency and dispersion
  • correlation 
  • regression
  • probability distributions
  • inference
  • hypothesis testing
  • the t-test
  • chi square
  • introduction to probability theory
  • F distribution

How long will it take to complete an MSN or a post-baccalaureate DNP?
Time to degree completion will vary based on the program of enrollment and the student. Please refer to the specific academic program for information regarding the curriculum and program plan options. UMSN requires students to complete a graduate program within 5 years of the first term of enrollment.


I earned a bachelor's degree in a field other than nursing. Can I be considered for admission to a master's or doctoral program at the School of Nursing?
We require a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited institution as part of our admission requirements to graduate programs.


Do the programs all start in the fall term? 

Yes, we only offer a Fall term start for our graduate programs.

Leave a Comment


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *